Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Whew...decisions decisions

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about what exactly it is I want to do with my life, professionally speaking. How do I wish to make money and sustain myself and future Mrs. (11 days and counting to the wedding by the way)?

For so long I’ve been so hyper focused on going to San Francisco State University for graduate school and studying in their Human Sexuality Program. It's the reason I went back to school to get my bachelor's degree. If they had offered a BA degree in Human Sexuality I would have stopped with schooling once I got my BA. I’ve focused so much on wanting to get acceped into the masters program that every report card I got would have me biting my nails, wondering if my GPA was still high enough for this program. I needed at least a 3.0. My GPA is around 3.2. I wondered if I was smart enough to get in or if I was a "radical enough thinker" for San Francisco. I'm a borderline tree hugging liberal, but there are times when I feel some of my views regarding sex, sexuality, and gender can be construed as conversative by Bay Area standards. Since it’s the only program of its kind in the United States (other than 1 doctoral program in Pennsylvania) I was so fixated on getting accepted into SFSU. If I could just get in, I’d be set.

As I now enter my last semester of undergraduate work it’s now time for me to start the application process for the Human Sexuality Program.

At least it was...until a few weeks ago.

My BFF, "Alexis", threw me a bachelorette party about 3 weeks ago. Towards the end I mentioned to one of the party guest my school plans. She was like, “nope. You don’t need to go there to learn and teach about sexuality.” My party guest had actually worked in the department and didn’t have great things to say about it. As we talked I realized that there were other avenues (right here in the Bay Area) for me to obtain the type of sexuality education I wanted. I'm more interested in counseling/advising rather than scientific research in the field of sexuality.

Right now my goal is to go through the San Francisco Sex Information Training Program. I'm also going to enroll in City College of San Francisco's Sexual Health Educator Certificate program The cool thing about CCSF's program is that I've already taken two of the required courses in the past.

I can’t explain how relieved I am to have that weight off my shoulders. Now I’m in the process of investigating other fields of graduate worked that will compliment my sexual education studies. I’m thinking possibly a Masters in Social Work, Counseling, or Sociology. Seeing how these are degrees that are offered at many colleges and university right here in the Bay Area the anxiety of “will I get in,” has dissipated.

Now I need to turn my attention to getting admissions applications submitted.



- Strange ((^_~))

0 comments: